BLAIRSVILLE, Pa. - Emergency crews say a customer died after a grease fire spread and destroyed a restaurant and lounge in Indiana County.
The victim's body was found Thursday morning in the collapsed ruins of Sharon's Restaurant & Lounge in Blairsville. That's about 50 miles east of Pittsburgh.
The fire was first reported after 10:30 p.m. Wednesday and spread to a neighboring building. After the second building caught fire, the restaurant collapsed.
“It rapidly got in the walls, climbed the walls, climbed the ceiling. Truck was on scene within three minutes. It was already rolling out of the front,” said Ab Dettorre, of the Blairsville Volunteer Fire Department.
Dave Chaek said he owns the ice cream shop and neighboring photography studio, both damaged in the blaze.
“I lived behind it. My son lived above it. Everything is gone,” said Chaek.
Officials said the victim was 68 years old.
The owners of the restaurant said they will try to rebuild.
Customer killed in Blairsville bar fire
4-alarm fire destroys row homes, displaces at least 10 in Hazelwood
Pittsburgh police share new data that shows increase in crime
Police: Child left home alone with crack pipes, needles while mother…
Veterinarians believe euthanized cat was poisoned with antifreeze