Channel 11 Emails...

Delivered To Your Inbox

School bus, truck collide head-on in North Beaver Twp.; drivers injured



LAWRENCE COUNTY, Pa. - Lawrence County 911 dispatchers said an accident involving a school bus and a truck was reported in North Beaver Township Thursday morning.

Dispatchers said the accident happened around 7 a.m. on Route 18.

State police said the bus driver made a left turn from Halltown Road onto Route 18 into the path of a tractor-trailer.

"It appears it's the bus driver's fault. We have witnesses who say that," said state police Cpl. James Sheldon.

Police said the 51-year-old female bus driver, Wynell Dessau, was ejected from the vehicle.

Police said Dessau and the truck driver, 56-year-old Daniel McAdoo, were both seriously hurt.

“The driver was trapped upon our arrival and the bus driver was lying on the road,” Sheldon said.

The drivers’ conditions have not been released.

“She’s just blessed. When I look at the way the truck looks, I don’t know how she made it out alive,” the bus driver’s daughter said. “She’s in a lot of pain right now, but all of her tests came back negative. She doesn’t have any broken bones or anything.”

Officials said one student from Mohawk School District was on board the bus at the time of the accident, but was not seriously injured.

The superintendent of Mohawk Area School District said the student is a 14-year-old seventh-grader. Kathleen Kwolek said the bus driver had just picked the student up and was beginning her route when the crash happened.

Kwolek said the student had a cellphone on him and used it to call 911.

“The little boy immediately after the accident was able to make a phone call and alerted his parents,” Kwolek said.

Kwolek said after the boy was checked out and released from the hospital, he asked to go to school.

Crews said ammonium nitrate leaked from the truck after the truck's fuel tank ruptured and spilled on the roadway. Firefighters said the leak did not cause any health hazards and no evacuations were necessary.

Police said the roadway was closed for several hours while crews cleared the scene and investigated.