INDIANA COUNTY, Pa. - Indiana High School students attending prom Friday evening will face extra security measures after the principal said in a letter sent out to parents that a low-grade threat was discovered in a restroom at the high school.
State police said they sent bomb-sniffing dogs through the school Friday, but found nothing.
However, police said extra troopers patrolled the high school during the Grand March, which took place at 3 p.m., and students will be bused to Chestnut Ridge Country Club at 5 p.m. for prom.
The letter that Indiana High School Principal Wade McElheny sent out to parents outlines all the precautionary measures the school is taking Friday evening and can be viewed in its entirety below:
Dear IHS Community:
Due to a low-grade threat for Friday, May 17, 2013, that was discovered in a restroom on Friday, May 3, 2013, precautionary measures will be taken this Friday for students, parents, guardians, staff and faculty. Please review the following items regarding access to the senior high school on Friday, May 17, 2013:
1. Entrance and re-entry to the senior high school building for the school day will begin at 6:30 a.m. and occur only at the upper commons doors nearest to the main office. All individuals should plan accordingly and are subject to safety screening.
2. All students and visitors who attend IHS Prom Grand March will enter the building using the New Gymnasium entrance doors. Students’ bags will be tagged and secured by parent chaperones for later access by students. All individuals are subject to safety screening.
3. Any individual who exits the building during the time of Prom Grand March will re-enter the building using the New Gymnasium entrance doors. All individuals are subject to safety screening.
4. Students and visitors who wish to remain in the building following IHS Grand March may congregate in the interior areas of the lower commons. Individuals who exit the building will re-enter at the entrance of the New Gymnasium and are subject to safety screening.
5. At the conclusion of IHS Prom Grand March, students will prepare to board buses to travel to Chestnut Ridge Country Club. All individuals are subject to safety screening.
6. Chaperones and security guards will be available at exit doors and in hallways of the auditorium, gymnasium, and lower commons areas to assist with travel of students and visitors.
We apologize for any inconvenience that these necessary measures cause you. We are committed to providing you with a safe and enjoyable learning environment.
Wade L. McElheny