Facebook post may be to blame for home break-in



TARENTUM, Pa. - Police believe a break-in at a Tarentum man’s home may have been the result of a Facebook post the victim made.

Investigators said the victim posted on Facebook that he was out of town vacationing in Europe. When the man returned to his Roupp Avenue home Sunday night, he found his entire house had been ransacked.

Detectives said they believe whoever is responsible for breaking into the man’s house knew he was out of town because of his post.

The victim posted a message on his Facebook page Tuesday to the person responsible for burglarizing his home: “Thank you to the (expletive) who broke into my house and destroyed everything I have. Both doors were kicked in and the entire place was ransacked.”

Terry Segelson owns a property services company preparing houses for sale and has been working in the area. He called it a nice, quiet neighborhood.

Channel 11’s Vince Sims talked to Segelson, who said he’s surprised because there is never crime in the area.

Segelson said he thinks people are too open about their private life on social media sites.

“I might post that I’m at a Steelers home opener or something like that, but for the most part I just don’t do it. I don’t need to have everyone in my business constantly,” Segelson said. “I can’t understand half of the stuff people put up there.”

Authorities recommend to Facebook users not to post too much personal information, like when you’re out of town for an extended period of time.

Anyone with information on the break-in is asked to contact police.