Channel 11 Emails...

Delivered To Your Inbox

Man killed saving grandson's medical supplies in Worth Twp. fire

Updated:

Loading

WORTH TOWNSHIP, Pa. -- State police have identified the grandfather who was killed in what they're considering a suspicious fire in Worth Township on Thursday.

Investigators said the fire started at a mobile home on Book Road around 6 p.m. Officials said the homeowner called 911 when a shed fire spread to the home.

At the time, police said a man was inside of the home with his 18-month-old son, who has serious health issues. After calling emergency officials investigators said the man called his step-father, Dennis Morris.

"He immediately called 911 and then called his step-father to help. He tried to fight the fire with a portable extinguisher," said Trooper Chris Birckbichler.

Channel 11 News has learned that Morris first carried out the child then went back into the home to recover his medical equipment.

Officials said Morris later went to the hospital after saying he didn't feel well. He died a few hours later.

"The grandfather rushed in and was a hero getting the child out of the residence," said Birckbichler.

Kayla Sniezek said her son Ford has a genetic condition called Spinal Muscular Atrophy. His immune system is weak, his muscles are weak and he vary rarely leaves the home.

Click here for a link to Ford's website to raise awareness for Spinal Muscular Atrophy.

“My father got there and started running into the house and bringing everything out to keep Ford alive,” Sniezek said. “It wasn’t like he went in and got one machine. He got everything he could.”

Troopers said about 20 minutes before the fire started a young male spoke to the homeowner and asked for a bottle of water. Police are now searching for that person.

"We don't know his exact age, early 20s. He's 5 feet 10 inches tall weighing about 170 pounds. He was wearing a tie-dyes shirt and khaki shorts," said Birckbichler. "We want to talk to him to see if he saw anything regarding the fire."

Anyone with information about the fire is asked to contact police.