CANONSBURG, Pa. - A Canonsburg man is recovering after he caught fire on Saturday when a tiki torch exploded on him.
Jason Chappell, 33, tried to blow out an 8-inch tiki torch and it exploded, causing him to catch fire.
Chappell’s neighbor, Zachary Puklus, told Channel 11's Jennifer Tomazic that he saw flames 3 feet high coming off of Chappell.
Puklus said he immediately grabbed a fire extinguisher and put out the flames as Chappell rolled on the street.
Puklus said he then ran over to the porch and extinguished those flames.
“I've always been taught to use a fire extinguisher, so that's what I did. His foot was pretty badly burned so I'm glad he's OK,” Puklus said.
Authorities said they found the tiki torch about 12 feet from where it exploded.
Chappell remains hospitalized with burns on his legs.
Neighbor saves man who caught fire trying to blow out tiki torch
Woman falls to her death in Go Ape zip line accident
Father grabbed alligator's snout to pry boy from reptile's mouth, report says
Consultant: I conspired with attorney general to frame aide
Canonsburg teen who inspired so many loses battle with terminal cancer