SHALER TOWNSHIP, Pa. - It’s been nearly a year since a man went on a deadly shooting rampage wounding his wife and son, and killing his teenage daughter.
On Sunday, the survivors of that shooting turned the tragedy into something positive and held a walk to honor 19-year-old Laurin Edwards.
Laurin was fatally shot inside her family’s Shaler Township home last August. After her death, her mother and brother started a scholarship fund in her name to help students studying to become physician assistants.
Channel 11’s Lori Houy reported about 200 people attended Sunday’s Laps For Laurin 5k walk at Shaler Middle School.
“Even if you would have known her for five minutes, you would have loved Laurin. She was so full of energy and spirit,” said Laurin’s mother, Charlene Edwards.
The Edwards family is still healing from the nightmare that also left Charlene and her son, Jimmy, badly injured.
“Every day is a struggle, but faith keeps me going. I’m trying to do everything I can in a positive way to honor her,” Charlene Edwards said.
Laurin was studying to be a physician’s assistant at Saint Francis University. All of the proceeds from Sunday’s walk will help another student at the same university realize their dream.
“It’s a beautiful day and an awesome day for Laurin,” said friend Natalie Pilewski. “The family is hanging in there. We all need to be strong for them.”
Charlene Edwards said she plans on making Laps For Laurin an annual event.
“I’m so humbled to know that I can take all of this and give it to another student in her name is remarkable,” she said.
- July 31, 2014 -- Walk to be held in memory of Shaler girl killed when father went on shooting rampage
- November 7, 2013 -- Surviving family members of Shaler shooting talk to Channel 11
- October 14, 2013 -- Community holds benefit for family of Shaler Twp. 19-year-old killed in murder-suicide
- September 5, 2013 -- Family, friends attend emotional funeral for 19-year-old killed in Shaler shooting
- August 27, 2013 -- ‘He just mentally snapped’: Family members try to make sense of Shaler shooting
- August 26, 2013 -- Classmates hold vigil for Shaler Twp. teen shot to death by father
- August 23, 2013 -- Motive unknown after police say father shot wife, kids, self in Shaler Twp.
Memorial walk honors Shaler teen killed in shooting rampage
Amazon.com scam hits shoppers before holidays
Woman caught on camera stealing Salvation Army kettle at Waycross Walmart
Trump takes to Twitter to mull loss of citizenship, jail time for flag burners
Rescued, injured bald eagle treated at Audubon Center