BEAVER FALLS, Pa. - Concerned parents who said mold in their children’s school was making them sick contacted Channel 11 News asking for help.
Channel 11’s Amy Marcinkiewicz took the parents’ concerned to Blackhawk School District and asked if there was still mold inside the school.
Blackhawk Superintendent Dr. Michelle Miller told Marcinkiewicz she’s sent home five different letters to parents informing them of what’s been going on.
According to Miller, a leak in the boiler room started the entire incident in November. Moisture then settled in the gym and nearby storage units. Miller said the school district then called experts to try to solve the problem.
“The school is safe and the kids are safe. That’s my main priority,” Miller said. “We are being proactive in doing testing and making sure it’s safe.”
Concerned parent Jodi Weister said she didn’t think enough was being done about the air quality at Northwestern Elementary School in the Blackhawk School District.
“My child has had issues and I thought it was a cough and a cold, but then I took him to the doctor and they said it was allergies,” Weister said.
Miller said she sent another letter home to parents on Tuesday, and posted an 87-page report on the conditions inside the school on the school district’s website.
"Everything that I was told was told to me by the firm investigating. I was assured that the school is safe," Miller said.
According to the report, spore counts are still elevated in storage units by the gym, but they've been sealed off.
The district has hired
three firms to continue to look at this issue and monitor air quality. It's not costing the district anything because it's all covered by insurance.
Parents voice concern about report of mold inside Blackhawk school
Metro Atlanta man set to cash in on extremely rare baseball card
Third Hernandez suicide note addressed to inmate, lawyer says
Todd Chrisley and his wife owe the state nearly $800,000, documents say
Man trying to find owner of black and white pictures found in St.…