PITTSBURGH - A Pittsburgh couple has been taken into custody on child endangerment charges after the woman's 18-month-old daughter was found dead -- possibly from ingesting illegal drugs.
According to the criminal complaint, emergency officials were called about an hour after 24-year-old Sondra Rector told officers she found her daughter, Nevaeah Andiorio, unresponsive at about 8:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Investigators said Rector told them she used heroin and left some other stamp bags -- or individual doses -- of the drug and a syringe near the child while Rector slept.
Rector told police her daughter was unresponsive when she woke up, and that 62-year-old William Kablach was shouting about a missing 100 mg morphine pill that he had also left near the girl.
Police arrested Kablach and Rector at the scene.
Nevaeah was rushed to Children’s Hospital, but doctors were unable to save her.
“It’s heartbreaking. I’m going to have trouble not crying over it. But I guess this is the reality of addiction,” one neighbor said.
The neighbor said they think heroin is a major problem in their Spring Hill neighborhood.
“It’s a hotbed because of the convenience of the highways and the suburbanites are coming in and getting it. It’s just a steady supply,” the neighbor said.
Channel 11 News has learned that Rector was recently arrested for prostitution.
18-month-old dies at hospital after possibly ingesting morphine pill,…
Mother's photo of Boston Children's Hospital bill goes viral
Mom's photo of Boston Children's Hospital bill goes viral
Report: Admitted drug dealer caught in stolen car
Metro Atlanta man set to cash in on extremely rare baseball card