APOLLO, Pa. - Four people were hurt by a stray firework in Apollo Thursday night, including a 14-year-old girl.
Paramedics were called to the Apollo football field on Route 56.
Channel 11’s Dave Bondy spoke to 14-year-old victim Brook Wright about the terrifying experience.
"I saw the flash, my friends started running so I started running. I dropped my phone and my flip flops fell off and it hit me,” said Wright.
Wright's mother, Lisa Culp was in the stands when the accident happened and told WPXI she witnessed her daughter’s injuries and ran toward her.
"I looked at the back of her legs and it looked like gun powder or dirt and it was blood. Both of her legs in the back were completely covered," said Culp.
Wright was taken to the burn unit at UPMC Mercy in Pittsburgh on Thursday, where she was treated for first- and second-degree burns. She was released from the hospital Friday morning.
Wright remembered exactly how she felt when the accident happened.
“I had the shivers. It scared me. I couldn't stop shivering. I was like this in the ambulance,” said Wright.
None of the fireworks organizers wanted to comment on the incident, but Pyrotecnico, a company based in New Castle, released a statement:
"Pyrotecnico deeply regrets that people were injured during the Owens Field fireworks display. We have conducted displays at Owens Field for many years without incident."
Repeated phone calls to Apollo officials were not returned, including the police department.
It is unclear whether an investigation by law enforcement even exists.
State police in Kittanning said they are not involved.
Stray firework injures several in Apollo, including 14-year-old girl
Ho, ho, ho: Santa makes virtual stop at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
Amazon.com scam hits shoppers before holidays
Woman caught on camera stealing Salvation Army kettle at Waycross Walmart
Trump takes to Twitter to mull loss of citizenship, jail time for flag burners