Updated:COLUMBIANA COUNTY, Oh. —
A chilling 911 call has been released after a 12-year-old girl came home to find her mother shot to death and her 5-year-old brother seriously wounded on Monday just across the Pennsylvania Ohio border west of Beaver Falls.
Officials said the boy is in Akron Children's Hospital after brain surgery, fighting for his life.
The shooter is still at large and no weapon was found. Columbiana County Sheriff Raymond Stone said there was no sign of a break-in at the Salem Township home.
Officials said the girl got off the school bus Monday afternoon and found her mother dead and her brother barely breathing. She then called 911.
- GIRL: “My mother and my brother. She was home and they’re bleeding really bad.”
- 911: “Who’s bleeding?”
- GIRL: “He’s awake.”
- 911: “How many?”
- GIRL: “My brother and my mom.”
- 911: “Your brother and your mom are both bleeding very badly. OK.”
- Girl: “Yes.”
Soon after that, her father got on the phone and described the horrific scene to the dispatcher.
- 911: "Sir, what is going on there?"
- MAN: "My ex-wife is dead."
- 911: "Your ex-wife is ... OK. Is there a child injured too, sir?"
- MAN: "Yes, there is."
- 911: "Hang on. I know it's hard to stay on the phone with you, but I just really need you to."
- MAN: "I'm here. Hurry up. Please."
- 911: "I know."
- MAN: "Oh, my."
- 911: "I know, honey."
The sheriff said he interviewed two people who had good alibis and they were released.
“They’re all bad. But, when you see a young person and that much blood, it was a tragic scene,” Stone said.
Investigators are also looking at other persons of interest, but the sheriff would not say who.
Neighbors in the community said they’re in shock.
“You don’t expect anything like that. I don’t know what happened, but just the fact that somebody died up there affects you,” neighbor Debbie Salyers said.