NEW CASTLE, Pa. - Firefighters rushed into a burning home to rescue a man in Lawrence County Friday, but it wasn’t enough.
The blaze was reported at a house on Lathrop Street in New Castle.
The fire chief said firefighters pulled 61-year-old Lewis Sheffield out of the house, but he died a few minutes later.
Investigators said Sheffield was asleep in his upstairs bedroom when a power strip malfunctioned and started a fire in the living room.
Sheffield’s bedroom was directly above the fire, and officials said he may have not even heard the smoke detectors going off.
It’s believed Sheffield died of smoke inhalation, officials said.
Authorities ID man killed in Lawrence Co. house fire
Newborn baby left in trash can at BP gas station
Woman, child in stroller struck by vehicle in Lawrenceville
McKeesport police officer fired over apparent racist social media post
South Carolina school shooting: Suspected shooter's father found dead