PITTSBURGH - A man who was shot by police during a traffic stop last year attended a hearing on the dismissal of his charges Wednesday – the same day police added additional charges against him.
Attorneys for Leon Ford requested Wednesday’s hearing so they could ask the judge to dismiss of the charges against him. Before the hearing began, Ford’s family members spoke on behalf of their son.
“We are standing up for Leon because the Pittsburgh police paralyzed by son and now he cannot stand up for himself and he will never walk again,” Ford’s mother Latonia Green said.
“They paralyzed him and hoped he died,” Leon Ford Sr. said.
On November 11, 2012 Ford was shot four times by a Pittsburgh police officer during a traffic stop on Stanton Avenue in East Liberty.
The incident was captured on dash cam video.
Police said Ford dragged the officer with his car during the stop, but Ford’s attorney said police are lying. His attorneys also said this is a case of racial profiling.
Despite their efforts, the Allegheny County district attorney added an additional charge of escape Wednesday.
Ford’s team of attorneys, including Benjamin Crump, who represented the Florida teenager Trayvon Martin, is livid.
“They have added additional charges. Talk about insult to injury. This is something so troubling. When you really just look at the video, the police are lying,” Crump said.
Ford also faces reckless endangerment and aggravated assault charges. He also filed a federal lawsuit against the city and police.
Man shot, paralyzed by officers asks for dismissal of charges, while…
‘Everything is gone': Fire in McKeesport leaves 6, including 4 children,…
Plans in works to establish police substation in downtown Pittsburgh
Cranberry Twp. EMTs to distribute ‘Hope' to OD victims revived with Narcan
Man accused of shooting intruder now faces homicide charges