Authorities have confirmed that 3-year-old twin brothers were killed in a house fire in North Braddock last week, but investigators said they don't yet know how the blaze started.
The Allegheny County medical examiner has identified the victims as Ky'heir and Dy'heir Arthur. One of the boys died of burns and smoke inhalation, while the other died of smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning.
"We confirmed two bodies were found deceased inside the building," the chief of Allegheny County's Department of Emergency Services, Alvin Henderson, said.
The fire was reported about 3:30 p.m. Friday.
"A passerby saw flames, stopped and banged on all the doors before calling 911," Henderson said.
The medical examiner has yet to rule whether the deaths are accidental or homicides, because a county fire marshal and other investigators haven't determined how the fire started.
Police said the boys' mother had left home to find her teenage daughter and returned minutes later to find the residence on fire.
A memorial consisting of teddy bears, cards and flowers for the Arthur boys has been set up in front of the home.