View mobile site
Follow us on
Thursday, May 23, 2013 | 12:20 p.m.
Hi, (not you?) | Member Center | Sign Out
Sign In | Register
Updated: 6:46 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2012 | Posted: 11:51 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2012
Nine people were taken to an area hospital after a carbon monoxide leak Tuesday morning in Beaver County.
According to 911 dispatchers, the residents of a home on Connecticut Avenue in Rochester reported feeling sick about 8:15 a.m. Tuesday.
The eight kids and one adult were taken for treatment at Allegheny General Hospital, police said.
Bonnie Shepherd said her daughter, Dawn, two grandchildren and six other children in their care were hospitalized following the close call.
“I’m lucky we made it through the night because I know this can kill you,” Shepherd said.
According to Shepherd, they started noticing something was wrong Monday night.
“The kids started getting sick. A couple were sick at a time with headaches real bad. They were sick to their stomach and vomiting,” Shepherd said.
The kids range in age from 18 months to 12 years, Shepherd said.
“I don’t know how (Dawn) came up with the idea of what it could be, but we all got out of the house and called the fire department,” Shepherd said.
Shepherd said her daughter had the highest levels of everyone who went to the hospital, and she underwent treatments Tuesday afternoon.
"We didn’t have a carbon monoxide detector in the house, but we’re going to have one shortly,” Shepherd said.
Channel 11's Vince Sims reported all of the victims were released from the hospital Tuesday night.
Experts said carbon monoxide claims the lives of hundreds of people each year and makes thousands more ill. They urge everyone to get a detector and have furnaces checked annually.
© 2013 Cox Media Group. By using this website,
Already have an account? Sign In
We have sent you a confirmation email. Please check your email and click on the link to activate your account.
We look forward to seeing you frequently. Visit us and sign in to update your profile, receive the latest news and keep up to date with mobile alerts.
Don't worry, it happens. We'll send you a link to create a new password.
We have sent you an email with a link to change your password.
We've sent an email with instructions to create a new password. Your existing password has not been changed.
To sign in you must verify your email address. Fill out the form below and we'll send you an email to verify.
Check your email for a link to verify your email address.