A man was flown to an area hospital after a fire in Armstrong County Monday morning.
Firefighters responded to a structure fire on North 7th Street in Apollo just after 10 a.m. Monday.
Investigators said a man was working on a stove in his camper and it caught fire. The flames then spread to his house next door.
“I believe they were welding and grinding on the mobile home when it caught fire and extended into the house,” Apollo Fire Department Assistant Chief Brian Watterson said.
Channel 11 News spoke to a meter reader who helped rescue the man from the blaze.
“I saw the black smoke, so I came around the corner to see what was going on,” Jeri Dermidzaki said. “It was scary, that’s for sure. I wish I could have done more, but any little bit counts, I guess. The firemen deserve all the credit.”
Dispatchers from 911 said the man was flown to UPMC Mercy Hospital’s burn unit, but his name and condition have not been released.
Westmoreland County firefighters also responded to the blaze to assist the crews from Armstrong County.