Kids, grandmother wake up with headaches, dizziness due to CO scare
A Carbon Monoxide scare forced a Pittsburgh family out of its home Thursday.
Crystal Marshall called police after she tried to wake up her grandchildren for school, and she realized that she and her granddaughter woke up with headaches and dizziness.
Marshall said she suspected fumes and evacuated with her grandchildren.
"I was trying to wake up the kids this morning for school and they wouldn't wake up. When I got up I was a little bit dizzy and had a headache. That's when my granddaughter got up and said her head hurt too," Marshall said.
Marshall believed that the fumes came from a gas stove that was being used to heat the family's temporary apartment while their Prospect Terrace home was being remodeled.
"I told (911) that I couldn't wake up my kids. They just told me to try to get them up and get out," Marshall said.
After she got her grandchildren out of the house, the Housing Authority placed them into a temporary housing unit.
It was later discovered that the apartment's furnace was to blame for the gas leak.