WPXI viewers submitted thousands of votes and on Thursday, I surprised the winners of the Pittsburgh's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies contest.
The first-place winner was Nancy B’s Bakery, located in West Homestead. The deliciously thick Chocolate Chip Cookies at the small family-owned bakery have developed a loyal fan base in the Pittsburgh area.
The second-place award went to Bethel Bakery in Bethel Park. The half dipped Butterfinger topped Chocolate Chip Cookie at the famous bakery scored big points with the taste test judges and won thousands of votes from WPXI viewers.
Tin Man Sweets in Evans City took home third-place in the competition. The bakery has only been open for a few months, but is no stranger to the Pittsburgh’s Best contests, earning second-place in the Pittsburgh’s Best Cupcakes contest.
A big "thank you" to all of the great Pittsburgh bakeries that participated in the Pittsburgh's Best Chocolate Chip Cookie contest!
The winners were determined by a combination of the public vote and taste test scores.
On June 4, the Pittsburgh’s Best Chocolate Chip Cookie blind taste test was held at the Channel 11 studios.
Our panel of celebrity judges included Jill and Kendall Vertes of “Dance Moms,” international singing superstar Jackie Evancho, Mikey 96.1 KISS FM, Dave Johnson and Peggy Finnegan of WPXI-TV.
Each bakery submitted a sample of its best chocolate chip cookie for the blind test.
The winner of the taste test was Bethel Bakery, with its delicious hand-dipped Butterfinger chocolate chip cookie. The thick and chewy cookies from Nancy B’s Bakery in West Homestead were a close second. The third-place winner was Sinful Sweets Bakery in Pittsburgh, with a milk chocolate drizzle chocolate chip cookie. The cupcakes were judged on taste, texture and appearance.
If your favorite bakery didn’t place in the top three of the taste test, never fear. Vote for your favorite by clicking here.
The winners will be revealed during the week of June 17. Award plaques will be given to the first-, second- and third-place winners as determined by the public vote. Award certificates will be given to the remaining finalists.
How were the finalists selected?
The nomination period ended at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, May 29. The top bakeries that received the most nominations were selected as our finalists. The finalists were contacted by WPXI and invited to participate in a taste test at the WPXI studios.
The taste test took place during the week of June 3. Each finalist delivered a sample of its chocolate chip cookies to the WPXI studios to be judged by a panel of celebrity judges. If a bakery did not show up for the taste test, they were disqualified.
Voting opened to the public Wednesday, June 5 at 3 p.m. on WPXI.com and closed Friday, June 14 at 3 p.m. The winners were determined by a combination of the public vote and taste test scores. They will be revealed during the week of June 17. Award plaques will be given to the first-, second- and third-place bakeries. Award certificates will be given to the remaining finalists.
1. The Top 10 Cookies will first be determined by the number of valid nominations received and second, by the willingness of the bakery to participate.
2. The nomination process opened Thursday, May 16 and closes at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, May 29. Our finalists will be determined at that time.
3. A taste test took place at the Channel 11 studios during the week of June 3. Each finalist was required to deliver a sample of their cookies for the test. If a bakery did not show up for the taste test they were disqualified.
4. Voting opened to the public Wednesday, June 5 at 3 p.m. on WPXI.com and closed Friday, June 14 at 3 p.m.
5. The winners will be revealed the week of June 17. Award plaques will be given to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners as determined by a combination of public vote and taste test scores. Award certificates will be given to the remaining finalists.
Winners announced in Pittsburgh's Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Contest
Pair charged in ambush that killed 6 in Wilkinsburg to stand trial
Hillary Clinton, Tim Kaine to make stop in Pittsburgh Saturday at…
Flood Warning in effect as rain moves through region
Fort Cherry HS teacher accused of having inappropriate relationship with student