PITTSBURGH,None - When it comes to food, there's one thing Pittsburghers always seem to have an opinion on; where to find the best pizza.
WPXI viewers submitted more than 8,000 votes for their favorite of our 15 finalists. The winners have been chosen and were presented an award plaque on Friday, August 6.
WINNERS CHOSEN BY WPXI.COM VIEWERS:
1st Place: Frank's Pizzeria, Ambridge
2nd Place: Doughboy's Pizza, McKees Rocks
3rd Place: Mamma Lucia's, Northway Mall
WPXI.com viewers nominated 15 finalists and on July 21 a taste-test was held at the WPXI Studios.
Donte's Pizzeria Ranked #1 By Judges Brownsville Road
Mamma Lucia's Ranked #2 By Judges Northway Mall
Doughboy's Pizza Ranked #3 By Judges McKees Rocks
Aiello's Pizza Ranked #4 By Judges Squirrel Hill
The Upper Crust Ranked #5 By Judges, Ranked #1 In "Specialty" Category (Buffalo Chicken Pizza) Fox Chapel
Fratello's Pizzeria Ranked #2 In "Specialty" Category (Signature BBQ) McMurray, Pa.
River City Pizza Ranked #3 In "Specialty" Category (Chicken, Bacon, Ranch) Lower Burrell, Pa.
3 Rivers 6 Pack Delmont, Pa.
Frank's Pizzeria Ambridge
Mineo's Squirrel Hill
P&M Pizza Arnold, Pa.
Sir Pizza Ross Township
TMV Brothers Verona
Vincent's Pizza Park Ardmore Boulevard
Giovanni's Pizza & Pasta ***Please note: Giovanni's did not show up for the taste-testing and was disqualified.*** West Liberty Avenue, Dormont
Please note: Both Fiori's Pizza and Beto's Pizza were nominated but declined to participate in the contest.
1. The Top 15 pizza restaurants were first determined by the number of valid nominations received and second, by the willingness of the pizza restaurant to participate. WPXI.com received more than 800 nominations for more than 150 pizza shops over the past few weeks.
2. The nomination process closed Monday, July 12.
3. A taste test took place at the Channel 11 Studios July 21. Each finalist delivered a plain, cheese pizza for the contest. A specialty pizza was also accepted but was judged in a separate contest.
4. Voting opened to the public Thursday, July 22 at noon on WPXI.com and closed Thursday, July 29 at 5 p.m.
5. Award plaques were given to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners as determined by the public vote. Award certificates were given to the remaining finalists.