Thousands of votes were submitted on WPXI.com and on Thursday, I surprised the winners of the Pittsburgh's Best Ribs contest.
The first-place winner was Allegheny City Smokehouse, located on the North Side. The delicious ribs also took first-place in the taste test. The restaurant is relatively new, opening last year taking orders through its website and facebook page.
The second-place award went to Two Brothers BBQ in Collier Township. Two Brothers is not new to the competition, taking first-place in the 2012 Pittsburgh’s Best Ribs contest.
Rowdy BBQ in Brentwood took home third-place in the competition. Rowdy has also finished in the top three of the taste test and overall contest two years in a row.
A big "thank you" to all of the great Pittsburgh BBQ restaurants that participated in the Pittsburgh's Best Chocolate Ribs contest!
The winners were determined by a combination of the public vote and taste test scores.
On Tuesday Oct. 15, the Pittsburgh’s Best Ribs blind taste test was held at the Channel 11 studios.
The top finalists were invited to submit a signature flavor of ribs, and our panel of celebrity judges, including personalities from WPXI and KISS FM, put each one to the test.
We received a wide variety of flavors, from traditional barbecue to specialty dry rubs. Each submission was unique and for a second year in a row, the scoring was extremely close, with only 20 points separating first- and last-place.
The winner of the taste test was Allegheny City Smokehouse in Pittsburgh, known for its bacon and sausage—but today its baby back ribs scored big points with the judges.
The fantastic ribs from Rowdy BBQ in Brentwood, took home second-place. Rowdy is no stranger to the Pittsburgh’s Best Ribs competition, taking first-place in the 2012 taste test and second-place in the overall contest.
Showcase BBQ in Pittsburgh submitted its “North Eastern BBQ” flavored ribs, and the judges needed a few extra napkins before awarding the delicious dish third-place in the taste test.
Congratulations to all of the great finalists!
The ribs were judged on taste, appearance, sauce/rub and tenderness.
Voting opened to the public Wednesday, Oct. 16 at 3 p.m. on WPXI.com and closed Tuesday, Oct. 29 at 3 p.m.
The winners were determined by a combination of the public vote and taste test scores. They were revealed during the week of Nov. 11. Award plaques were given to the first-, second- and third-place restaurants. Award certificates will be given to the remaining finalists.
1. The top rib restaurants were first determined by the number of valid nominations received and second, by the willingness of the rib restaurant to participate.
2. The nomination process will open Wednesday, September 18, 2013 at 3 p.m. and close Wednesday, October 2, 2013 at 3 p.m. Our finalists will be determined at that time and will be contacted by WPXI.
3. A taste test took place at the Channel 11 studios during the week of October 14. Each finalist delivered a sample of ribs to be judged in the taste test. If a restaurant didn't not show up for the taste test they were disqualified.
4. Voting opened to the public Wednesday, October 16 at 3 p.m. on WPXI.com and close Tuesday, October 29 at 3 p.m. Each user was allowed five votes per hour. Voting results remained hidden.
5. The winners were revealed during the week of November 4. Award plaques will be given to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners as determined by the public vote. Award certificates will be given to the remaining finalists.