The attorney for NFL star and Aliquippa native Darrelle Revis said the football player is not the person in a video that TMZ is circulating.
Revis turned himself in to Pittsburgh police Friday to face charges in connection with an altercation last weekend in the city's South Side neighborhood, authorities said.
His attorney, Robert DelGreco, issued the following statement Sunday night about the TMZ video "Darrelle Revis Knockout Aftermath Footage … 2 Men Out Cold":
"Darrelle Revis absolutely, categorically and positively did not knock out anyone, did not conspire with anyone to commit an assault, did not say "shut up before I knock your (expletive) out next" and surely did not "rob" another of a cell phone. The voice and admissions made on the video are NOT that of Darrelle Revis. We have no doubt but that further investigation relative to the clothing and voice verification will corroborate the above assertions."
Revis, 31, faces two counts of aggravated assault, one count of felony robbery, one count of conspiracy and one count of making terroristic threats.
He was arraigned Friday night and granted non-monetary bail with several conditions, including no contact with witnesses and victims, and the surrender of his passport. Revis' preliminary hearing is set for Thursday.
Conditions: Appear at hearing,
Verify address w pre trail services, Abide by laws, No contact w Vic's or witness, surrender passport @WPXI
Pittsburgh police said officers were called at 2:43 a.m. Sunday to the intersection of South 23rd and East Carson streets for a report of two men who had been knocked unconscious.
According to the investigation, a 22-year-old man from Kittanning was walking along East Carson Street when he spotted a man who resembled Revis, a cornerback for the New York Jets. The man told police that he asked if the man was Revis and the man confirmed that he was.
The man began recording the interaction on his cellphone and continued following Revis, police said. At some point, Revis snatched the cellphone away and attempted to delete the video, authorities said.
A 21-year-old man from Ross Township attempted to help the 22-year-old retrieve the cellphone and Revis tossed it onto the roadway.
Authorities said a verbal argument followed and a fourth man came to assist Revis. Both the 22-year-old and the 21-year-old told officers that they were punched and then remember waking up to talk to police.
Witnesses stated that the two men were unconscious for about 10 minutes.
Lisa Huston, who owns South Side’s White Eagle bar, told Channel 11 News she heard a commotion outside early Sunday and saw two men lying on the sidewalk.
“I heard a commotion outside, ran to window, looked out front and saw legs,” she said. “There was two young boys … completely knocked out, side-by-side, right on my corner.”
Pittsburgh police said they viewed the cellphone video recorded by the 22-year-old man and confirmed that the person involved in the altercation was Revis.
Blaine Jones, who represented Revis prior to his surrender, said the two men were taunting Revis while he was visiting a place in the South Side that he is developing. He said Revis allegedly told the men he played football and that he didn’t want any trouble.
"He was not the aggressor that night. He was 1,000 percent the victim. He tried to retreat. He did everything in his power to get this situation to die down,” Jones said. “If any punches were thrown, they were thrown in self-defense. Darrelle did not initiate any of the physical contact. You think Darrelle Revis would go down to the South Side and start throwing punches?”
Jones said Friday night that he was only hired to handle a portion of the case and to get Revis safely turned in.
Channel 11 News learned Bob del Greco is taking over as Revis’ defense lawyer.
Revis was a star player at the University of Pittsburgh before he went to the NFL. He currently plays for the Jets, and Channel 11 News learned their security team is aware of the situation.
Stay with WPXI.com and Channel 11 News for updates.