Updated:BADEN, Pa. —
Channel 11 viewers in Baden reported power surges and flashing lights Tuesday morning.
Channel 11 learned that a transformer blew at a Duquesne Light substation around 4 a.m.
Crews continued working on the transformer Tuesday afternoon.
“We had it before, but this is the first time I’ve experienced it like this,” said Ray Dively.
The power surge woke Dively up.
“I got up to see what was going on, and I turned the lights on in my house. They were all flickering, so I looked outside, and the street light was flickering,” he said.
Duquesne Light said while they were working on the problem, there were some power surges.
The Baden Fire Department said they went out on six calls, and one woman’s surge protector caught fire in the Green Diamond Apartments. Firefighters said not much damage was done.
Firefighters reported the surge caused a person’s carbon monoxide detector to go off, but no carbon monoxide was detected.
At one point, 600 people were without power.