EAST LIBERTY, Pa. - Several people were displaced from their homes Wednesday after a fire in an East Liberty apartment building.
Officials said the blaze was reported around 12:30 a.m. on North Euclid Avenue.
Channel 11’s Dave Bondy reported that officials believe the fire began on a stove in one of the apartments. Smoke and fire damage is reported throughout the building.
Kiersten Sands told Bondy she was sleeping in the apartment next door.
“What woke me up initially was I couldn’t breathe because I have asthma and then the fire alarm started going off,” Sands said.
Sands, along with eight other people and one child, were forced out.
“I went to my front door to try to get out, but when I opened my front door, there were flames coming in so I shut the door, got a towel and stuck it underneath,” Sands said.
She said she then barricaded herself inside the bathroom, but as the smoke continued to fill the room, she realized she had no choice but to leave.
“I ran out the back door and down the fire escape, but I waited because there was fire coming out the back from the apartment next to me. So I waited then ran down the steps,” she said.
No injuries were reported.
The American Red Cross is assisting everyone who lives in the building with a place to stay.