During the coronavirus outbreak, there have been many blood drives canceled, but there is still an immediate need for healthy blood donors.
Vitalant said it has lost thousands of expected donations due to the cancellations and the numbers continue to climb.
Because of this, Vitalant has expanded opportunities to donate at its 10 donation centers starting Wednesday and running through March 27.
Vitalant said not to be concerned about donating blood during this time:
- In addition to the vigorous FDA-mandated testing of all blood components donated, Vitalant staff follow rigorous safety and disinfection protocols on our bloodmobiles and in our donation centers:
- The donor care staff wear protective gloves for every procedure, and gloves are changed before every donor.
- All supplies are single use.
- As each blood donation concludes, the staff clean and disinfect the donor bed and surrounding areas.
- Giving blood has no impact on the donor's immune system.
- Due to the nature of the coronavirus, it is highly unlikely that it can be transmitted through blood transfusions.
© 2020 © 2020 Cox Media Group