PITTSBURGH - Some local high school athletes got a big surprise after their workout yesterday.
Country music star Carrie Underwood, who was in Pittsburgh for a concert on her Cry Pretty Tour 360, presented the girls from five local districts with a $100,000 Sports Matter donation from the Dick’s Sporting Goods Foundation, in partnership with CALIA by Carrie Underwood.
You can now customize your WPXI News App to receive alerts to Allegheny County news. CLICK HERE to find out how.
Armstrong, Burrell, Fort Cherry, Riverside and Slippery Rock school districts will each get $20,000 to go toward their sports programs.
The Sports Matter campaign was created to help raise money and awareness for the youth sports funding crisis.
The girls also got tickets to see Underwood’s concert.
- Teens charged with rolling 80-pound log off cliff that killed photographer below
- Massachusetts family of 5, including 3 children, dead in possible murder-suicide, officials say
- Boil water advisory issued for Mckeesport and Versailles
- VIDEO: Possible measles exposure at Philadelphia airport; state officials issue warning
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.