Dec. 4 is National Cookie Day, and we wanted to celebrate by giving you the origins of the best part of weddings in Pittsburgh -- the cookie table!
The cookie table originated in Western Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Eastern Ohio and has an ethnic and religious background, usually linked to Italians, Greeks and other Europeans of Catholic descent.
Traditionally, friends and family of the bride and groom prepare cookies for the table for guests to enjoy, such as pizzelles, lady locks, biscotti and Italian wedding cookies.
In August, the world record for the largest cookie table was set in Monogahela with 88,425 cookies featured, smashing the old record of 19,000.
- It's a beautiful day for 'The Kelly Clarkson Show' to honor Mister Rogers
- Lumaze Christmas festival now open in the Strip District
- Slippery Rock student starts petition to bring The Rock to 'The Rock'
- VIDEO: 'Making It' returns for season 2 on NBC
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2020 Cox Media Group