• Homeowner tries to battle N. Union Twp. fire, collapses on porch


    NORTH UNION TOWNSHIP, Pa. - Two people, including a firefighter, were hurt early Tuesday morning in a house fire in North Union Township.

     The fire was reported at a home on Old Braddock Road just before 2 a.m.

    Homeowner Roy Matthews said smoke detectors saved him and his family’s lives.

     “Literally it saved our lives. My fiancé said the alarm was going off and I come running out, and that’s when everything went down,” Matthews said.

     Matthews said he got his fiancé and her son out of the home before trying to extinguish the flames himself.

     “After about ten minutes, I would run out on the porch trying to get some clean air and then I’d run back in,” said Matthews.

     When firefighters got to the  home, they said Matthews collapsed on the porch – overcome by smoke. He was taken to Uniontown Hospital and released several hours later.

     “My throat sore from breathing in the smoke, and my eyes are burning,” Matthews said. 

     Channel 11’s Dave Bondy reported that the firefighter twisted his ankle.

     Officials said the blaze was likely sparked by a wood burning stove.

     Most of the damage was contained to the living room, Bondy reported.

     The three people living at the home are now staying with family. 

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Homeowner tries to battle N. Union Twp. fire, collapses on porch

  • Headline Goes Here

    The Latest: Trump tweets support for French shooting victims

  • Headline Goes Here

    Afghanistan: Sticky bomb blast in Kabul kills 1, wounds 13

  • Headline Goes Here

    Hundreds of thousands march for gun control in the US

  • Headline Goes Here

    Greek tycoon calls drug charges politically motivated