UTRECHT, Netherlands — A shooting on a Dutch tram left at least three people dead and five others injured in Utrecht, according to authorities.
Authorities have classified the incident as a possible terror attack.
Update 2:55 p.m. EDT March 18: Dutch Justice Minister Ferd Grapperhaus told the AP the man arrested Monday on suspicion of opening fire on a Dutch tram has a criminal history.
"The suspect was known within the justice department," Grapperhaus told the AP. "He had a criminal record. That is indeed what we know. I can give no more details."
Police identified the suspect in the case as Gokmen Tanis, 37.
Citing Dutch broadcaster RTV Utrecht, The Independent reported earlier Monday that Tanis had "a long history of run-ins with the police for both minor and major crimes, including a shooing in 2013."
Update 2:40 p.m. EDT March 18: Dutch Justice Minister Ferd Grapperhaus told reporters Monday that the suspect arrested in connection to the shooting "was known" to authorities, the AP reported.
Grapperhaus did not provide additional details.
Police said they arrested Gokmen Tanis, 37, during a raid in Utrecht's Oudenoord neighborhood hours after he was identified as a suspect in Monday's shooting.
Authorities continue to investigate the incident.
Update 2 p.m. EDT March 18: Utrecht police said the man taken into custody in connection to Monday's deadly shooting on a Dutch tram was apprehended during a raid in the city's Oudenoord neighborhood.
Authorities said they apprehended Gokmen Tanis, 37, hours after they released an image of the suspect and asked the public's help locating him.
Update 1:50 p.m. EDT March 18: Utrecht police confirmed in a tweet Monday that authorities have detained a man suspected of opening fire on a Dutch tram.
Dutch anti-terror coordinator Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg said in a tweet that the country's terror level was lowered from its highest level, 5, to level 4 following the suspect's arrest.
Update 1:40 p.m. EDT March 18: Police apprehended the man suspected of opening fire Monday on a Dutch tram, CNN reported, citing Rob van Bree, head of operations of the Central Netherlands Police.
Update 11:45 a.m. EDT March 18: van Zanen withdrew advice for Utrecht residents to stay indoors Monday, saying the recommendation was made on the suspicion that shots had been fired at another location in the city.
However, he said, "That is not the case, as far as we know," according to The Independent.
van Zanen said earlier Monday that at least three people died in Monday's shooting and nine others were injured. Police said in a statement that the actual number of injured people was five.
Authorities have identified a man wanted in connection to the shooting as Gokmen Tanis, 37. Police continue to investigate the case.
Update 10:25 a.m. EDT March 18: Utrecht Mayor Jan van Zanen said three of the nine people wounded in Monday's shooting were seriously injured, according to The Associated Press.
"We cannot exclude, even stronger, we assume a terror motive," van Zanen said Monday. "Likely there is one attacker, but there could be more."
Police have identified a man wanted in connection to the shooting as Gokmen Tanis, 37.
Update 9:55 a.m. EDT March 18: Dutch police issued a correction Monday on the name of the man wanted in connection with the Utrecht shooting. Authorities said his name was spelled Gokmen Tanis. Officials initially identified the 37-year-old as Gokman Tanis.
The Independent reported trains were not being allowed into Utrecht's central train station in the wake of the shooting.
Update 9:25 a.m. EDT March 18: Police in the Netherlands asked for the public's help Monday locating a man wanted in connection to Monday's shooting.
Authorities warned against approaching the man, identified as Gokman Tanis, 37.
Update 8:55 a.m. EDT March 18: The shooter behind Monday's attack remained at large after the incident, according to Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg, the Dutch anti-terror coordinator.
"In Utrecht there was a shooting at several locations," he said Monday at a news conference, according to The Independent. "A lot is still unclear at this point and local authorities are working hard to establish all the facts. What we already know is that a culprit is at large."
Authorities continue to investigate the shooting.
The gunman remained at large Monday and may have fled the scene in a car, according to BBC News.
After the attack the country's anti-terror coordinator, Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg, raised the terror threat level in Utrecht to 5, its highest level.
Check back for updates to this developing story.
© 2021 Cox Media Group