• 180 residents safe after Oakland carbon monoxide scare

    Updated:

    PITTSBURGH - Investigators say a faulty damper that kept carbon monoxide from being vented through a chimney was responsible for an apartment building being evacuated in Pittsburgh.

    The incident occurred Sunday morning at the King Edward Apartments, which house about 180 people in the city's Oakland neighborhood.

    One tenant's carbon monoxide detector alerted emergency crews who evacuated the building then used fans to force fresh air into the 10-story building. Residents were also tested for levels of the poisonous gas in their blood as a precaution.

    One person had to be treated at a hospital, but otherwise nobody was reported hurt.

    The residents were allowed to return home shortly before 3 p.m. Sunday.

    Next Up:


  • Headline Goes Here

    180 residents safe after Oakland carbon monoxide scare

  • Headline Goes Here

    Looking back at The Blizzard of '93

  • Headline Goes Here

    Teen "set-up" by man he met on Grindr, beaten in ruthless attack

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police need help identifying woman found dead inside mall

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police: Child, 12, sent threat that closed Pennsylvania school district