PLUM, Pa. — 5:43 P.M. UPDATE: A Monroeville man drowned while fishing on the Allegheny River with a friend, according to Plum police.
Gregory Rudcki, 51, jumped into the water around 10:30 a.m. and began to struggle to stay afloat, Lt. Lanny R. Conley said. His friend threw him a flotation device, but Rudcki began to swim toward shore before disappearing underwater.
- Divers preparing to go in Allegheny River after reports of drowning
- Isolated, indigenous tribe in Amazon is captured on drone video
- High school football player dies after suffering cardiac arrest during game
- VIDEO: 1 Teen Dead After Shooting Near California High School
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
The friend called 911 from the boat. Emergency personnel found Rudcki's body just before 2 p.m. about 15 feet from shore, police said.
Allegheny County Police and the state Fish & Boat Commission are investigating.
Dive teams are preparing to go into the Allegheny River after reports of a drowning in Plum.
Dispatchers confirmed to Channel 11 there is police and first responder activity in the 300 block of Barking Road.
According to one of our photographers at the scene, the Monroeville Dive Team is present.
Allegheny County police were also on the scene.
© 2020 Cox Media Group