• Crews rescue dog trapped inside home that caught fire


    HOMEWOOD, Pa. - A dog that was trapped inside a Homewood building that caught fire early Saturday morning was rescued Monday.

    Animal Rescue League officials said the dog, Sophie, was found in the basement of one of the houses that went up in flames in the 600 block of Sterrett Street about 12:15 a.m. Saturday.

    “The dog had been in the basement for three days,” Pittsburgh fire Lt. John Gardell said.

    Gardell said a building inspector heard an animal crying from inside the burned-out home Monday morning.

    He called firefighters and they used a leash to bring Sophie to safety.

    “We are very grateful to see that the animal was able to survive. It’s quite interesting that she made it in there that long,” Gardell said.

    Officials said Sophie was covered in soot and ashes.

    “We had bathed her a couple of times and she’s now white again, so that’s really good. She was suffering from smoke inhalation. She’ll be on oxygen therapy until her lungs sound better,” Animal Rescue League officer Erica Daniels said.

    Gardell said Sophie will be reunited with her family as soon as she’s well enough to go home.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Crews rescue dog trapped inside home that caught fire

  • Headline Goes Here

    Looking back at The Blizzard of '93

  • Headline Goes Here

    Teen "set-up" by man he met on Grindr, beaten in ruthless attack

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police need help identifying woman found dead inside mall

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police: Child, 12, sent threat that closed Pennsylvania school district