• Target 11 investigates Magee-Womens Hospital's safety measures


    PITTSBURGH - Magee-Womens Hospital has a number of security measures in place to make sure newborns are safe and secure.

    However, Breona Moore managed to work around the safety precautions and kidnap 3-day-old Bryce Coleman on Thursday, police said.

    Target 11 learned that Moore was right outside Bryce’s mother’s room at the hospital when she was questioned by two employees.

    The first employee became suspicious because Moore was wearing scrubs with a UPMC logo, but didn’t have the proper ID badge.

    According to police, Moore told the employee she was just getting off duty.

    When she was questioned by another employee, she said she was waiting to drive her sister home.

    Unfortunately, neither employee reported the suspicious activity.

    “There were two individuals from the hospital who noticed something strange, yet failed to notify security. Had that taken place, maybe this horrific event wouldn’t have occurred,” attorney Rob Pierce said.

    Pierce represented the family of an elderly woman who wandered away from her room at a UPMC hospital in 2008 and was found dead don the roof of Montefiore Hospital.

    Pierce is also questioning a decision made by a nurse to cut off the infant’s electronic security bracelet too soon.

    “If the electronic wrist band is meant to automatically shut down the doors, why would you not cut that off right at the door? Why do it a half an hour ahead of time?” Pierce said.

    Another concern Pierce expressed is that the hospital waited 30 minutes before alerting police.

    Hospital officials said they followed all of the proper security procedures, but they will review everything to see if changes need to be made.

    Moore was wearing scrubs with a UPMC logo that she purchased for less than $20 at a uniform store just around the corner from the hospital.

    Detectives said Moore told the clerk she worked at UPMC and was sold the scrubs. Target 11 investigator Rick Earle tried to purchase a similar pair of scrubs on Friday and was denied.

    The Pennsylvania Department of Health issued the following statement Friday about the hospital’s handling of Thursday’s incident: “Facilities are required to report serious events to the Department within 24 hours.  This requirement was met by the facility and the Department has been in communication with the facility. The Department expects the facility to conduct a thorough review of the incident and determine if corrective action is necessary. The Department will monitor the facility to ensure implementation of a corrective action plan if one is necessary. We cannot comment on any specific report made but we can tell you that we follow up on the reports. The Department's role is to ensure the facility has all the proper plans and protocols in place to ensure that this type of event does not occur again.”

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Target 11 investigates Magee-Womens Hospital's safety measures

  • Headline Goes Here

    Looking back at The Blizzard of '93

  • Headline Goes Here

    Teen "set-up" by man he met on Grindr, beaten in ruthless attack

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police need help identifying woman found dead inside mall

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police: Child, 12, sent threat that closed Pennsylvania school district