Royal Bahamas Police Force Deputy Commissioner Paul Rolle says 21-year-old Jordan Lindsay of Torrance was attacked by three sharks on Wednesday near Rose Island while snorkeling with her family.
RELATED HEADLINE: Woman claims people were swimming at SC beach inches from sharks
KABC-TV says Lindsay's parents and other family members saw the sharks and yelled a warning but she didn't hear them in time. Officials say her arms, legs and buttocks were bitten and her right arm was severed.
- Girl's seat belt came undone on Kennywood coaster, family says
- Man caught taking photos of children inside car in Sandcastle parking lot, woman says
- Pittsburgh police looking for missing 13-year-old
- VIDEO: Charleroi firefighter attacked on the job
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
She was pronounced dead at a hospital.
The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism and Aviation issued a statement expressing its condolences and "deepest sympathies" to the family.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.