SOUTH PASADENA, Calif. — Actress Vanessa Marquez, best known for playing a nurse in the long-running medical drama "ER," was shot and killed by police in South Pasadena, California, according to Variety.
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Lt. Joe Mendoza said Marquez, 49, was shot in the torso and later died at a local hospital.
- Experts change policy for keeping children in rear-facing car seats
- Parents claim children's youth football team deceived them
- Labor Day 2018 deals and sales from Macy's, Walmart, Best Buy and more
- VIDEO: UK considers banning energy drink sales to minors
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
"She was suffering from some problems, eating disorder," Mendoza told KNBC Thursday. "When they (officers) arrived, she was suffering a seizure."
SGVT reported that Mendoza said officers had been to Marquez's apartment multiple times before for mental health issues.
"At the time (of the shooting) there was an LA County mental health clinician here with the officers," Mendoza said, according to the South Pasadenan. "They began to communicate with her, she became very uncooperative and during that contact she armed herself with a handgun, she pointed it at the officers and an officer-involved shooting occurred."
Marquez played nurse Wendy Goldman on “ER” from 1994 to 1997. She appeared in the Edward James Olmos film “Stand and Deliver” in 1988.
© 2020 Cox Media Group