NEW YORK - A 4-year-old girl brought home crack cocaine from her day care, showing her mother the “teeth” she got from another child at the facility, the parent said.
Serenity Straker gave her mother the capsules Friday and told her she had put one in her mouth.
“She could have died if she ingested this," Straker told WPIX. "I was furious.”
Straker went to the police, where detectives confirmed the substance was crack cocaine. She then took Serenity to a hospital where she tested positive for the drug because she briefly put the capsule in her mouth before spitting it out.
- Health department reveals new details on suspected cases of mysterious illness
- Social Security checks will grow in 2019 as inflation rises
- Person struck, killed by tractor-trailer on I-79
- VOTE for your Week 7 Band of the Week
- VIDEO: Timeline of furniture-throwing incident involving Antonio Brown
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Yvette Joseph, who runs the Little Inventors Day Care, told WPIX someone must have thrown the drugs over the fence and then a child found it.
“We checked our center thoroughly and all of the children are safe," Joseph told WPIX.
Straker is not satisfied.
“No one was watching the children," she said. "There are 15 kids in the room with two teachers and two aides, where were they when this was going on?"
The Administration for Children’s Services did not comment to WPIX. Police are investigating the incident as a case of endangering the welfare of children.
© 2018 Cox Media Group.