“We are hiring pilots, we’re hiring flight attendants, we’re hiring ground staff, we’re hiring in all categories of the company,” Bastian said in an interview on CNBC’s Squawk Box. “We’re in the process of hiring 6,000 people this year and at least a like amount next year.”
- Carrie Underwood surprises local high school athletes with donation
- Drummer for country musician Kane Brown killed in crash
- Local man found dead more than a week after disappearing in Lower Burrell
- VIDEO: Mysterious lights in sky off North Carolina’s Outer Banks caught on video
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Much of the hiring is aimed at replacing employees who are retiring, while the Atlanta-based airline is also working to keep up with growing volumes of passengers flying on its planes.
During a conference call on the company’s financial results Thursday, Bastian said half to two-thirds of the 6,000 hires a year are to replace workers who are retiring, while the company will also have some growth.
Bastian also said the company would be hiring earlier in the year and continue through the year.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.