A Florida man was free for about 15 minutes before he was arrested for burglary, police said.
Casey Michael Lewis, 37, was released Thursday from the St. Lucie County Detention Facility and was then seen on surveillance video pulling on car door handles and entering unlocked vehicles, CNN reported.
- Man killed by train remembered by final act of selflessness
- Mothers intentionally drugged children and themselves before driving off cliff, jury finds
- 'Record-setting 140-pound, 17-foot python captured in South Florida
- VIDEO: Woman attacked, robbed outside McCandless restaurant
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
He was approached by deputies and found with a brown paper bag that had inside an iPhone 7, four packs of cigarettes, a lighter, a Visa bank debit card, a driver’s license and $547.
Lewis was arrested and charged with burglary, grand larceny and possession of stolen property, according to the St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Office.
He was later released, again, only this time deputies made sure someone picked him up. Lewis was originally brought to the jail on a grand theft charge.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.