A middle school student on spring break found a pretty rare treasure on North Topsail Beach.
The girl said she stumbled upon a megalodon tooth while she was looking around in the sand, WSOC-TV reported.
- 7-year-old boy hit by truck, critically injured while crossing street with mother
- Australian dad snatches toddler from jaws of wild dingo
- Couple celebrates 80th wedding anniversary
- VIDEO: TSA: Man arrested at JFK airport hid gun inside DVD player
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
The megalodon went extinct millions of years ago and was the largest shark ever documented.
She said her family searches for shark teeth every time they're on the beach.
They found five other shark teeth while looking through the sand, including some great white shark teeth.
The girl said she plans to tell her class in Raleigh about it when she gets back from spring break.
The prehistoric tooth could be almost 3 million years old.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.