A homeless Michigan man who realized he won the state's Lotto 47 game dived into a dumpster to retrieve the winning ticket, WFMY reported.
The man, who chose to remain anonymous, was one of two people who split the $9.64 million jackpot with the winning $1 ticket he bought for the Oct. 10 drawing, the television station reported. He bought the winning ticket, worth $4.82 million, at a convenience store in Munger, WSMH reported.
On Oct. 11, the man was out for a walk when he checked the winning numbers. He said he was stunned when the six numbers matched.
"Winning this prize has turned my life around in an instant. It means I can finally get some medical procedures that I couldn't have afforded before. This will undoubtedly improve my quality of life," he told WDIV.
The man went to Lottery headquarters Thursday and decided to take a lump sum of approximately $3 million, the television station reported.
- Chicago Mercy Hospital Shooting: 4 dead, including police officer, gunman
- Couple headed to their wedding in Pittsburgh killed in crash on Pennsylvania interstate
- 'I want to know why?' Sister of 19-year-old allegedly killed by ex-boyfriend speaks out
- VIDEO: Man caught on camera rummaging through house while couple slept upstairs
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2020 Cox Media Group