SHAWNEE, Kan. — A Kansas woman said a stranger attempted to kidnap her 9-week-old daughter while she shopped at a Target store, WDAF reported.
Rachel Youngs was shopping in the baby section of the Target in Shawnee on Friday when she said a woman approached her, the television station reported.
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to 'shoot up' polling place
- Sheriff's deputy resigns amid allegations of sexting teenager
- Decision 2018: Problems reported at polling locations
- VIDEO: Salmonella Risk Prompts Recall of Some Duncan Hines Cake Mixes
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
After some more pleasantries were exchanged, the woman asked to hold the infant. Youngs said she quickly realized that was a mistake, KCTV reported.
"She says, 'Just so you know, I was arrested for attempted kidnapping.' That`s when I was like, 'OK, you know what, there's something wrong,'" Youngs told KCTV. "All of a sudden, she starts walking off with my daughter. I yelled at her, I said, 'I need my baby back, please. Give me my baby back.'"
The woman hesitated before handing back the child. Youngs then asked Target employees to call police, WDAF reported. Officers arrived but told Youngs they could not make an arrest.
Youngs says the situation was frightening.
"Someone could come up to you and just be as nice as possible, and I try to trust people, and so many people do, but you can't trust anyone," she told WDAF.
© 2020 Cox Media Group