MEMPHIS, Tenn. - A Tennessee man is in jail after admitting to murdering his wife, authorities said.
Mario Scales, 31, of Memphis, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder Wednesday in connection with the slaying of his wife. She was shot more than six times with an assault rifle.
The incident happened April 3, 2017, according to the release from the district attorney’s office.
The victim, Lisa Peoples, 27, was found dead from gunshot wounds around 9 p.m. near her driveway.
- Man killed by shark in Massachusetts, state's first attack fatality since 1936
- Tropical Storm Florence: TV reporter stops Facebook Live to rescue dog
- Live Updates: Tracking Tropical Storm Florence, impact on Pittsburgh area
- VIDEO: Crews battle row house fire in Harrison Township
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Investigators said Peoples had previously taken a protective order out against Scales.
Witnesses said after the shooting, Scales told people inside the home what he had done before running away – still armed with an AK-47 rifle.
Scales was arrested later while hiding inside a nearby house.
Scales was arrested on March 20, 2017, for assaulting the same victim of the shooting after police say they found a Glock 22 in his car with live ammunition.
© 2018 Cox Media Group.