A 41-year-old Alaska man was arrested by federal authorities, hours after a 10-year-old girl was found dead after being missing for more than a week, the Anchorage Daily News reported.
Peter Wilson of Kotzebue was arrested Friday evening in connection with the disappearance of Ashley Johnson-Barr, whose body was found east of Kotzebue earlier in the day. Wilson faces charges of making false statements to a federal agent, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Wilson was being transferred to Anchorage to face the charges, KTUU reported.
The girl was found dead Friday afternoon, according to Alaska State Troopers.
- Man killed by shark in Massachusetts, state's first attack fatality since 1936
- Tropical Storm Florence: TV reporter stops Facebook Live to rescue dog
- Live Updates: Tracking Tropical Storm Florence, impact on Pittsburgh area
- VIDEO: Crews battle row house fire in Harrison Township
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
She was first reported missing on Sept. 6 after she failed to return home from a local playground, the Daily News reported.
Johnson-Barr's father, Walter "Scotty" Barr said in a text message to the Daily News that his daughter was a "very happy person" who "always had a smile no matter what."
Troopers said the investigation is continuing, KTUU reported.
© 2018 Cox Media Group.