COLUMBUS, Ohio - A kindergarten student in Ohio was found carrying a handgun at school Friday, WCMH reported.
According to Columbus police, school officials at Columbus Africentric Early College were called by a parent and told that a student was carrying something heavy in their pants, WBNS reported.
The student was stopped and the weapon was taken and then given to a school resource officer, WCMH reported.
The child will not be charged because of his age, the television station reported.
Africentric Principal Tyree Pollard sent a letter home with students Friday afternoon, WBNS reported, saying in part that “Young people at every age need to understand the dangers of having a gun, taser, or other type of weapon -- even fake ones that look real.
“We need families to have thoughtful age-appropriate conversations about the types of items that are never appropriate to bring to school,” Pollard wrote.
- Winter Weather Advisory issued for most of the area ahead of snow
- Man leaves 2 lbs of marijuana in Uber, busted by troopers when he went to retrieve it, police say
- Upward of 3 inches of snow possible in some parts of area this weekend
- VIDEO: 11 restaurants to check out during Restaurant Week
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2019 Cox Media Group.