GREENWOOD, S.C. -- - Officials with a South Carolina animal shelter say it has rescued a Great Dane who was so starved that, he ate one of his own feet to survive.
The Associated Press reports owners 32-year-old Jessica James and 38-year-old Skylar Craft have been charged with ill treatment of animals. A Ware Shoals police report says officers were told last month about a “very skinny” Great Dane missing over half his back right leg.
Police say the 6-year-old dog was tied to a metal pole without food or water bowl nearby. Police say the owners couldn’t tell officers how long the dog had been tied up or how long it had been injured.
Noah’s Arks Rescue officials posted on Facebook that they rescued the dog, now named Luke, last week. The post also says Luke needs surgery on his leg, but can't undergo surgery until he heals from a respiratory infection.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Infant ibuprofen sold at Walmart, CVS, Family Dollar recalled
- National Geographic finally catches on to how cool Pittsburgh is
- Police arrest 32 as part of Mon Valley drug sweep
- VIDEO: Church's nativity scene includes baby Jesus in a cage
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2018 Cox Media Group.