The shortlist was announced Tuesday morning, the "Today" show reported.
In the running were:
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi
President Donald Trump
Hong Kong Protestors
Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg
Chinese President Xi Jinping
U.S. women's soccer star Megan Rapinoe
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern
A few on the list had been named Person of the Year in the past, according to Fox News. Trump was given the honor in 2016 when he won the election and was named to the finalist lists in 2015, 2017 and 2019. Giuliani was the Person of the Year in 2001. Zuckerberg was a finalist in 2010.
In addition to Thunberg, Time announced the person of the year in other categories.
For entertainment, editors chose Lizzo to represent as Entertainer of the Year.
The Guardians of the Year are the Public Servants.
Athlete of the Year honor went to the U.S. Women's Soccer Team.
Businessperson of the Year is Disney CEO Bob Iger.
- Belichick says Patriots' filming Bengals sideline not a football issue: 'I had no involvement'
- Children taken out of Pittsburgh home after deadly shooting
- Allegheny Co. Health Department confirms active tuberculosis case in student at Pittsburgh school
- VIDEO: Man accused of stalking girl for over a year, driving to West Mifflin home to have sex with her
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2020 Cox Media Group