CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. - A woman and her baby fell through a storm grate Thursday and landed at the bottom of the storm drain 20 feet below the grate.
The woman was carrying her baby, who is under a year old, through a parking lot when the storm grate inexplicably gave way around 6:37 p.m., according to Clarksville police.
A person walking by heard the baby’s cries but could not see anyone in the darkness and called 911. Emergency responders were able to safely remove the woman and child around 7:15 p.m.
The woman, who has not been identified, was taken by helicopter to a hospital for evaluation. She was conscious and talking with no visible signs of serious injury, police said.
The baby, who had a small cut but no apparent life-threatening injuries, was taken by ambulance to a hospital, police said.
- Former Pittsburgh Pirates player Jose Castillo killed in ambush, robbery
- NASA scientist: Aliens may have already visited Earth
- Woman recovering after Butler County dog attack
- VIDEO: Man who killed Pittsburgh officer in 1996 arrested on drug, gun charges
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
© 2018 Cox Media Group.