The Tribune-Review reports that Westmoreland County jurors deliberated for about three hours Friday before convicting 31-year-old Matthew Ramsay of murder, vehicular homicide and driving under the influence of a controlled substance. He was acquitted of vehicular homicide while intoxicated and a lesser DUI count.
Prosecutors said Ramsay deliberately veered his car across traffic and struck 49-year-old Joseph Cummins, then fled the scene. Jurors heard a recorded police interrogation in which he denied he knew that he hit Cummins.
Defense attorney Jim Robinson argued there was no evidence Ramsay had consumed drugs beyond a daily methadone dose.
Information from: Tribune-Review, http://triblive.com
- Police: 2-year-old Wisconsin girl missing since Monday found dead in Minnesota
- Police: Disturbing use of Catnip Cocktail by people increasing
- Investigators looking for cause of fire at Allegheny Co. strip mall
- VIDEO: Pittsburgh police searching for missing 17-year-old girl
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.