A judge sentenced Matthew Ramsay to 15 to 40 years in state prison on Monday. He had been convicted in March on a murder charge, along with vehicular homicide and driving under the influence of a controlled substance counts.
Westmoreland County prosecutors have said the 31-year-old New Stanton man deliberately veered his car across traffic and struck 49-year-old Joseph Cummins, then fled the scene. They say he later attempted to hide his damaged car and went Christmas shopping.
Ramsay's lawyer argued at trial that there was no evidence his client had consumed drugs beyond a daily methadone dose.
- Another American tourist died in Dominican Republic after drink from hotel minibar, family says
- Flames engulf tractor-trailer, fuel pumps at turnpike service plaza
- Funeral home to hold burial for veteran with no family, would like volunteers to attend service
- VIDEO: Search underway for person who shot dog then dumped him under bridge
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.