Acting Managing Director Osmer Deming said Mayor Wally Scott believes the "pride flag" represents a political movement and flying it is against city policy.
Council president Jeffrey Waltman Sr. said he found out just before arriving for the ceremony Monday evening and tried unsuccessfully to change the mayor's mind.
- Double shooting leaves 1 dead, 1 in the hospital
- Florida man makes sign after panhandler rejects his job offer
- Can you help? A 10-year-old girl is missing and police are looking for her
- VIDEO: Norwin sophomore identified as teen killed in fall at YMCA camp
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
The LGBT Center of Greater Reading blasted the decision, saying "what was supposed to be a proud and historical moment" became "blatant, unacceptable discrimination."
The Reading Eagle reports that a POW/MIA flag flies below the U.S. flag at City Hall and flags of other countries have been raised there.
Information from: Reading Eagle, http://www.readingeagle.com/
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.