Saturday is International Red Panda Day, and in timely fashion, the Milwaukee County Zoo is announcing its newest addition.
A baby red panda was born there June 6.
The female cub was just six ounces at birth and now weighs about five pounds.
The animals are endangered, making every birth a cause for celebration.
- Artist immortalizes Pittsburgh rapper Mac Miller in 15-foot mural
- Blanks to be fired during active shooter drill at local school
- Live Updates: Tracking Hurricane Florence, impact on Pittsburgh area
- VIDEO: Apple Announces New iPhones, Accessory Changes
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts
Red pandas aren't closely related to giant pandas. They are actually their own unique animal family. Their tail has rings like a raccoon.
The cub will make her public debut in a few weeks.
She doesn't have a name yet, but zoo officials promise to name her soon.
COPYRIGHT 2018 WWW.CNN.COM. TURNER BROADCASTING SYSTEM, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.